Cauliflower rice–I’ll admit it sounds pretty strange. BUT, when you aren’t cooking with grains, it is a really nice substitute for rice! I’m not going to try and claim it tastes exactly like rice, but the texture is similar and I will say I’d much rather eat cauliflower this way than in florets! Our daughter LOVES cauliflower rice. She would be happy with a plate full of cauliflower rice and skip the broccoli and chicken altogether!
Chicken, Broccoli & “Rice” Casserole
Serves: 4-6 people
Chicken and Soup Ingredients:
2-3 chicken breasts
oil (to rub on chicken)
garlic & sea salt (to sprinkle on chicken)
1/2 cup cold almond or coconut milk
2 Tbsp. arrowroot
1 1/2 Tbsp. butter (or oil)
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 tsp. salt
Dash of pepper
(optional) 4 oz. can of mushrooms, drained
Cauliflower Rice Ingredients:
Half a head of cauliflower cut into florets (approximately 4-5 Cups of Cauliflower florets)
1 Tbsp. butter (or oil)
1 1/2 tsp. lemon pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
Choice of veggies (we like broccoli)
1. Rub chicken breasts with oil and sprinkle with garlic salt and sea salt (or a garlic and sea salt blend). Bake until cooked through. Cut into bite-size chunks.
2. Combine milk, arrowroot, butter or oil, chicken broth, salt and pepper in a saucepan and whisk together. Cook over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Continue to cook 1 minute while stirring. Remove from heat. Add mushrooms if using.
3. Cut cauliflower into florets. Steam for 3 minutes. (I steam mine in a steamer basket–works great!)
4. Remove cauliflower from steamer basket and pulse in a food processor until it resembles rice.
5. Cook cauliflower rice in a skillet over medium heat with 1 Tbsp. butter, 1 1/2 tsp. lemon pepper and 1/2 tsp. salt for 5 minutes. Add soup to skillet and mix to combine. Remove from heat.
6. Add chicken and and veggies stir to combine. (If chicken is cold, combine chicken to rice mixture, place in a casserole dish and bake for 20-30 minutes or until chicken is hot.)
*The soup recipe is close to a condensed cream soup–so try it in other dishes as well!