When we have potluck dinners at church in the spring, there is a lady who always brings her famous Rhubarb Dessert. It is amazing. Since we have totally revamped our eating habits, we are no longer able to eat it. I called her up, got the original recipe and went to work substituting and experimenting, trying to create something similar to her dessert. This is the end result! I hope you enjoy it! I have broken the ingredients and directions into their three separate steps below.
Darlene’s Rhubarb Dessert
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix together coconut oil, almond flour and honey.
3. Press into a 9×13 pan.
4. Bake for 8-10 minutes.
6 egg yolks
1 cup honey
1 cup almond milk (I used store-bought which seems to be thicker than my homemade almond milk)
1/4 cup arrowroot
1/4 tsp. salt
5 cups chopped rhubarb
1. Separate 6 eggs (you will use the whites for the topping).
2. Combine egg yolks and honey in a large bowl and mix well.
3. Whisk arrowroot into the almond milk and then pour into egg/honey mixture.
4. Add salt and rhubarb and mix well.
5. Pour on top of hot crust. Return pan to the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes (or until rhubarb is tender and filling is somewhat set.)
Meringue Topping Ingredients:
6 egg whites
1/4 cup honey
2 tsp. vanilla
1. Whip egg whites until stiff peaks form.
2. Add vanilla. Whip to incorporate.
3. Drizzle honey over the egg whites and whip again until well combined.
4. Spread on top of hot, baked filling.
5. Bake another 10 minutes or until browned.